Roses are red, violets are blue, Mother Earth is important, and so are you! Valentine’s Day is right around the corner and this year at Color it Green we’re focusing on giving gifts your loved ones and planet Earth will love. With Christmas behind us it’s important to continue to choose more environmentally friendly gifts and experiences to cut down on the amount of waste produced every year during the holidays. Check out our unique ideas below for some for Love Day gift-giving inspiration this year.
- Plan a Date Night. This can be as fancy as making a reservation to a nice restaurant you and your partner have always wanted to try, or as casual as a picnic on the beach. España is one of our favorite local restaurants for a nice meal, their fish is always fresh and delicious! Or, you can pick up a couple of pokè bowls from Timotis for something more laid-back. You can also pick a new recipe to try and cook together at home!
- Donate to a cause. Honoring your loved one by donating to a cause they care about is such a special gift. There are so many amazing organizations that need donations to continue their mission. A local charity such as the Hope House, the Nassau County Humane Society or Friends of the Fort are always amazing options. If donating isn’t an option, you can always plan a day together to walk the beach and pick up trash or volunteering in your community together.
- Plan a Day Date. Plan a day together with activities you both love like going on a bike ride or booking a kayak trip with a local company. Or you can hop on the ferry and head over to Cumberland Island for the day to see the wild horses and explore the beautiful beaches. Such a sweet, romantic day with the one you love!
- Make a Gift. A heartfelt, handmade gift or card is always a hit in our book. You can get creative, add some photos of the two of you or hit up a local pottery place, like Amelia Makery, and make a sweet little keepsake for your favorite person!
- Sustainable Gift-Giving. Shopping for sustainable, earth-friendly gifts is a great way to buy something special while also supporting our planet and small businesses in the process. We carry so many items that are earth-friendly, plastic free and give backs at the shop! One of our favorites is a Happy Sea tee or hoodie! There are so many cute designs for both men and women, you’re sure to find one that matches your valentine’s style.Another great option is a pair of socks by Conscious Step- adorable, top-quality socks that give back to nonprofits through every purchase. A pretty piece of jewelry is a classic gift and Color it Green carries so many special pieces that can be worn for years to come.
- Wrap your gifts in a Purposeful Way. Gift-wrap contributes to lots of waste, especially around the holidays. Millions of pounds of wrapping paper end up in the landfill every year. Choosing to wrap your gift in a reusable tote, cute handkerchief or in newspaper tied with twine make great, environmentally conscious options.
- Plan a Staycation. There are so many cute, locally-owned bed and breakfasts in every town, so do a little research and pick one for the weekend! Pretend you’re on vacation in your own town, hit up local restaurants, and shops. This is an amazing way to unwind and support your local community. In Fernandina we love Elizabeth Pointe Lodge, the Schoolhouse Inn, and the Addison House! But there are so many hidden treasures to choose from, so just pick your favorite!
Let’s take back Valentine’s Day. It doesn’t have to be another stressful, consumerist holiday. This year focus on what’s important- your loved ones, Mother Earth, and your community. Shop with a purpose and love on your friends and family, that’s what makes Valentine’s Day so special.